Grid Ref: LR78: NT 135 185
Location: Southern Scotland
The bothy is sited on land owned by Borders Forest Trust which is undertaking an ambitious long term habitat restoration project in the surrounding area.
Dog owners are asked to keep their dogs under close control particularly in the bird breeding months from March-July.
No bridge across the river from the track.
No stove or fire.
Please do not light any outside fires or BBQs due to fire risk to the newly restored forest.
Bothy renovated in memory of Andrew Jensen.
Gameshope cottage was built by a stonemason called John Dickson probably in the early 19th century. What is now the bothy was originally the byre. A family called Anderson were shepherds here for many years. The last permanent residents left in 1919. The quarries by the track on the way up the glen provided stone for the dam holding back the Talla reservoir which was completed in 1905. This reservoir provides drinking water to Edinburgh. In the late 17th century, the area was used by Covenanters for their meetings, and there is a stone in the glen called Peden’s Pulpit, named for Alexander Peden, a famous preacher. Sadly, it has not been possible to conclusively identify the stone. Gameshope Glen features in James Hogg’s story “The Bridal of Polmood” as the scene of an ambush.
Click the thumbnails below for an enlargement.
© Copyright Mountain Bothies Association, Edenbank House, 22 Crossgate, Cupar, Fife, KY15 5HW
Mountain Bothies Association is a charity registered in Scotland, no. SC008685 and a company limited by guarantee and registered in Scotland, no. SC191425