Grid Ref: LR23: NG 412 765
Location: North West Highlands & Islands
No fireplace or stove, no drinking water at bothy or on the headland, but water may be obtained at Trotternish Art Gallery, Solitote. NG 428 742. Small bothy with accommodation for three.
Please park in the new car park above the phone kiosk, by the cattle grid.
Beware of steep cliff face in front of bothy.
The Lookout is a former coastguard watch station. The front part of the building –the watch room –was built in 1928 by Macleans of Mull. It is equipped with a large bay window enjoying commanding views out over the Minch. Over the years, advances in radio communication meant that the building was no longer required for its original purpose and it has been a bothy since the mid-70’s. It was taken over by the MBA in 2006 and renovated in memory of David J J Brown, an MBA member who was a frequent visitor of the North West of Scotland.
In it’s solitude atop the cliffs of Rubha Hunnish, the bothy has a spectacular view over the Minch, the Isle of Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides. In the wee hours of the morning you may be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of whales and dolphins from it’s large, panoramic windows.
Click the thumbnails below for an enlargement.
© Copyright Mountain Bothies Association, Edenbank House, 22 Crossgate, Cupar, Fife, KY15 5HW
Mountain Bothies Association is a charity registered in Scotland, no. SC008685 and a company limited by guarantee and registered in Scotland, no. SC191425